Southampton Solent University has over 160 years of history, we know that’ employers want more from the modern graduate – and we go to exceptional lengths to deliver the skills, knowledge and practical experience they are looking for.
The University prides its self on putting our students at the heart of everything we do, providing a real-world, applied learning environment and making learning fun as well as relevant. We have first-class facilities, cutting-edge technology and skilled staff with excellent links to the world of work.
Team Solent FC
Team Solent FC is the University Football Club at Southampton Solent. Team Solent has a rich history in recruiting PFA & ex academy players. Our facility at Test Park rivals those at academy level with our 3G training facility and our Wessex Stadium, which is maintained by our full-time ground staff. Alongside studying for your degree you will be involved in a professional football environment where you can fully benefit from the services of our High Performance Academy (HPA), such as physiotherapy, strength & conditioning, massage, analysis and all-round student lifestyle support. Team Solent FC competes in the British University & Colleges Sport League (BUCS), the Wessex Premier Division (FA Step 5), FA Cup, FA Vase and other cup competitions. We have a professional management and coaching structure with UEFA A & B personnel, leading the player development pathway and taking the lead on all training and match day activities.
After another successful season, we are looking to build and recruit players in addition to our current squad to take us to the next level. Southampton Solent University is the ideal setting for talented footballers to combine football in a professional atmosphere whilst furthering their education. The University is currently ranked 7th in the UK for recruitment of sports students and we recently won “Most Improved University for Sport”.
Southampton Solent ‘Typical’ Entry Requirement 17/18
- Foundation Degree: 48 UCAS points
- Undergraduate Degree: Average of 112 UCAS points
Our PFA students:
- Previous Clubs: Queens Park Rangers Football Club
- Course: BA (hons) Business Management
- Experience: “My time at Solent has been great experience being able to balance football and university. Team Solent have given me a great platform form to enhance my development with the great coaches and facilities at our disposal (closest feeling to an academy environment).”
- Previous Clubs: Arsenal FC Academy (u8 – u18/reserves)
- Course of study: BA (Hons) Sports Studies (Graduated – First Class)
- Experience: “Going to Southampton Solent University was undoubtedly one of the best career decisions I have made to date. The sports facilities are excellent and met my needs and expectations coming from a professional club. The High Performance Academy (HPA) provided sufficient support to assist me through the demanding football season, as well as the academic side of things, such as a student support officer.”
- Through the University’s contacts Sam is currently out in America playing for FC Buffalo (National Premier Soccer League)
- Previous Clubs: Tottenham (Scholar & Pro)
- Course: BSc (Hons) Applied Sport Science
- Experience: “The experience has been great. The facilities both for my course (applied sports science) and the FC have made my time at Solent a complete pleasure. Playing on an academy level home pitch makes it so much fun and it's nice to just be enjoying playing football again while given the freedom to gain a really good degree.”
- Previous Clubs: Arsenal FC (Scholar), Stoke City FC (Pro)
- Course: BA (Hons) Sports Studies and Business
- Experience: “It is a big and difficult decision to step away from fulltime football but SSU and Team Solent FC has proved to be the perfect stepping stone between football and academia. SSU has allowed me to work hard towards a degree and provided courses to further my development as a coach through the FA. Together with this, I have the opportunity to continue to play at a good standard of football alongside other ex-academy players at a facilities similar to those of a Category One Academy”
- Previous Clubs: Arsenal (school boy) Coventry City (scholarship)
- Course: BSc (hons) Computing
- Experience: “My two years at Solent have been nothing short of brilliant. On the academic side of things, I have learned something new almost every day and the University has given me the opportunity to learn a subject which is different to sports, which I am enjoying immensely. On the football side of things, we’ve won four trophies in two years and I have enjoyed every minute of it. I would recommend enrolling at Southampton Solent University to anyone.”